What’s included in the price?
To maximize convenience, we include as much as possible, so you can just relax and think about hiking. Here’s what’s included:
- Airport transfers
- Hotel (3*) accommodation in Addis Ababa; double rooms, full board
- Plane tickets; Addis Ababa – Axum – Gondar – Addis Ababa
- Hotel (3*) accommodation in Axum; double rooms, full board
- Tent accommodation in the Simien Mountains; full board
- Lodge accommodation in the Simien Mountains; full board
- Cook, ranger and other supporting staff throughout the duration of the ascent
- Services of UIAA licensed guide
- Tickets, permits and taxes necessary to access the Simien Mountains National Park, monasteries and other protected areas
What does not included in the price?
- Flight tickets to/from Addis Ababa
- Ethiopian visa
- International Health Insurance
- Taxi service in Addis Ababa
- Tips for the supporting staff present during the ascent
- Individual costs
You will need to cover flights; insurance and extra spend. You’ll need to book your flights to and from Addis Ababa, travel insurance and cover other personal expenses (etc. drinks, souvenirs…).
What’s the hike like?
The hike is moderate. Every day hike is around 5-6 hours, with easy pace. You will walk on mountain trail. It is safe and solid. It can be rainy in the afternoon. Above 4000m snow is possible but during Autumn is very rear. Temperature is always above 0 degrees Celsius.
What’s the city tour like?
All-day city tour is organized with our guide and transportation. We will see the most important cultural and historical monuments in Addis Ababa and Axum.
What skills/experience/fitness do I need?
You need moderate level fitness level. The previous hiking experience at altitudes up to 4000 above sea level is not mandatory. Your guide will give you full instructions and a safety briefing at the start.
What do I need to bring with me?
- Backpack (up to 40l)
- Sleeping bag
- Trekking trousers
- Gore-Tex jacket (or anything waterproof)
- Hiking shoes
- Socks (thermal + cotton)
- Cotton shirts
- Base layer shirt and thermal long underwear pants (active underwear)
- Woolen cap (or polar)
- Hat (sun protection)
- Polar jacket
- Towel and toiletries kit
- Head lamp
- Water Bottle 1L
- Medicines and vitamins
- Sunscreen (SPF 30 or higher) + lip cream
- Trekking poles
What are the guides like?
All the activities on this trip will be led in English by qualified and licensed UIAA guide.
What’s the food like?
All food is local and is freshly cooked, hearty mountain meals. These include domestic cheese and other local milk products, dry meat specialties, fish, local fruit, fresh fruit and vegetable. We can organize your meal in the way you like. The drinks are not included.
Can my dietary requirements be catered to?
Absolutely. Just let us know when you fill in your travel documents.
When can I go on this trip?
Book on to our pre-set dates above. If you are considering alternative dates, the perfect time for this adventure is between September and May.
What’s the weather like?
Autumn are the best periods to visit this region. In Autumn the average temperature in Ethiopia can be around 30 degrees, but on the mountain is colder and temperature is around 10 degrees Celsius. Autumn is really pleasant and colors are stunning. Rain is very rear but it is possible in the afternoon.
Which flights should I book?
You should book flights to Addis Ababa airport (Ethiopia capital).
How do I meet the transfer?
At your arrival, the transfer will be holding a sign with the name of the tour. We’ll give you all extra details before travelling.
How big will the group be?
This trip will run with a minimum of 6 people, and a maximum of 15. Please note, if there are not 6 people booked the trip may be rearranged or cancelled. Please contact us for confirmation before booking your flights, or book with a credit card.
Can I customize the trip?
Of course! For private groups of six or more the trip can run on any days you wish, be extended or changed to suit your needs. Enquire now for a private trip.